Super Rugby


UQ through to grand final with 39-19 win over Sunnybank

University of Queensland have book their place in the Queensland Premier Rugby grand final with a 39-19 win over Sunnybank in the preliminary final at Ballymore on Sunday afternoon.

The six-try-to-three performance sets up an exciting rematch of last week’s major semi-final between UQ and GPS.

Red Heavies’ Jack Cornelsen was awarded the True Protein High Performer after a commanding performance at Number 8.

“I think today we kept our composure and didn’t really rush it when things didn’t go our way,” Cornelsen said.

“Last week we made a lot of silly mistakes and rushed what we were doing. Whereas today we knew everything wasn’t going to go our way to begin with but we were able to keep our composure once we calmed down.”

The Heavies were awarded two kickable penalties early in the match but instead opted for the corner and went searching for the try line.

Cornelsen secured the lineout ball and off the second phase Angus Scott-Young burrowed his way over for the first try of the match.

Reuben Leilua burst through shortly after the restart and provided the field position for James Dalgleish’s first penalty goal, 8-0.

The Heavies extended their lead in the 14th minute when Jock Campbell got on the outside of his opposite number to cross for the Heavies’ second.

Sunnybank responded five minutes later, swinging the ball wide to outside centre Joey Fittock who crossed the chalk for the Dragons’ first.

The Dragons got themselves back into an attacking field position before Nathan Russell plucked an ankle high intercept and raced 60 metres for a try at the other end, 20-5.

With eight minutes remaining in the half, Moses Sorovi sliced straight through off a centre-field scrum and found Josh Birch in support for UQ’s fourth.

After the half-time siren had sounded Sunnybank pressured UQ with a five-metre scrum shove that set up Jeffrey Faamausili’s try.

Jake Strachan slotted the conversion attempt to reduce UQ’s lead to 27-12 as the match paused for half time.

After the break, it took 19 minutes for the scores to change before Josh Birch broke the game open when he crashed over from close range.

Minutes later Jack Cornelesen set off up the right-hand touchline and dished the pass for Campbell’s second try, 39-12.

With five minutes remaining in the match, Fittock crashed over out wide for his double and Strachan nailed the conversion to make it a 20-point game.

University of Queensland 39 (Angus Scott-Young, Jock Campbell 2, Nathan Russell, Josh Birch 2 tries; James Dalgleish 3 con; Dalgleish 1 pen goal) defeated Sunnybank 19 (Joey Fittock 2, Jeffrey Faumausili tries; Jake Strachan 2 cons)

Latest News