Super Rugby


Queensland Premier Rugby Match Reports - Round 16

GPS win a thriller at Oldmac Oval

Three minutes into the match AJ Alatimu hit outside centre Pat Nicholson with a short ball that saw Nicholson dive over for his third try in two weeks.

Sunnybank responded after turning down a penalty opportunity and executing a 5m lineout play for Ben Petaia’s try.

The home side hit the front in the 25th minute as Petaia and Chazz Mahina exchanged a one-two passing sequence for the Number 8’s try.

GPS hit back 10 minutes later, using a five-metre scrum to set the platform for Nigel Genia to deliver a looping cut-out pass to winger Eric Vasukicakau.

The visitors took a two-point lead into half time but Jake Stachan stepped up and slotted a penalty goal straight after the break to snatch back the lead.

In the 52nd minute, Nicholson dived over for his double to give the visitors a 21-15 lead but Feao Fotuaika wrestled his way to the line minutes later to restore the home side’s one-point lead.

AJ Alatimu slotted a long-range penalty goal with 15 minutes remaining as the lead began continued to see saw.

After receiving a pin-point cut out pass Ritchi Ah Chong sucked in his opposite number and then stepped to the outside to dot down for the Dragons.

GPS’ Jay Havelu continued his run of tries as he picked up the ball from another successful five-metre scrum shove and dived over the line for the final try of the match.

The Gallopers welcomed University of Queensland to Yoku Road next weekend for the Halley Appelby Memorial Trophy while Sunnybank head to Hugh Courtney Oval to face Norths.

GPS 31 (P Nicholson 2 tries J Havelu E Vasukicakau tries A Alatimu pen 4 cons) d Sunnybank 27 (F Fotuaika B Petaia C Mahina R Ah Chong tries J Strachan pen 2 cons)

UQ claim their 14th straight victory

University of Queensland registered a 37-12 win over Easts on Saturday afternoon at St Lucia.

The seven try to two performance saw the Heavies claim their 14th straight win with only two round remaining in the regular season.

The Tigers hopes of playing finals have been dealt a major blow with Wests holding on to victory on the Gold Coast to leap frog Easts into the top four.

Seven minutes into the fixture UQ swung the ball wide to find Angus Scott-Young who showed a little bit of footwork before slamming the ball down next to the corner post.

The Heavies took a further 25 minutes to break open Easts’ eager defence, again swining the ball wide where Campbell Wakely had a short run to dive over.

The Tigers had opportunities for first-half points but were cut short by a well organised UQ defensive structure that held onto a 10-0 half-time lead.

After the break the Heavies built pressure with a short passing game, sucking in the Tigers’ defenders before Scott-Young burrowed his way over for a double.

As the match ticked past the 50-minute mark the Tigers backs produced a well-executed play that saw Toby White slice straight through and off the next phase Tyrone Pritchard found the try line.

Harry Hockings stole the Tigers’ lineout ball minutes later and the Heavies tightened the screws, stringing phases together before swinging it wide for Harry Parker’s try.

Awarded a penalty, UQ opted for the quick tap and Easts never got their defence set allowing Jack Cornelsen to dive over.

At the 65-minute mark Phil Potgieter finished off a rolling maul play to extend UQ’s lead to 30-7.

Off the restart UQ launched another attacking raid that saw nice interplay between backs and forwards and resulted in a try to Jock Campbell.

Easts crossed for their second in the 72nd minute with Alfonso Horomia dotting down in the corner to reduce the deficit.

The Heavies head to Yoku Road this weekend for the Halley Appleby Memorial Trophy clash with GPS while Easts have the bye.

University of Queensland 37 (A Scott-Young 2 tries C Wakely P Potgieter J Cornelsen H Parker J Campbell tries T McDermott con) def Easts 12 (T Pritchard A Horomia tries L Tibbetts con)

Brothers back in the mix with win over Souths

Brothers claimed a 46-31 victory over Souths on Saturday night at Crosby Park to keep their finals’ hopes alive.

The eight try performance sees Brothers sit just outside the top four with a crucial clash against Wests on the horizon.

Ted Postal and Reuben Wall both crossed for doubles as the home side stretched Souths defence early to claim an early 21-0 lead.

Off the first scrum of the game, Brothers swung the ball wide to Mitch Felsman who showed great awareness to step back on the inside and find Lawson Creighton in the mid field.

The Brethren executed a rolling maul play from 20-metres out to extend their lead through Postal.

Souths got themselves on the scoreboard in the 25th minute, putting the ball through the hands before Niko Bueta dived over.

The home side extended their lead to 21-7 when Nathanuel Gendle fired out a cut-out pass to Postal.

With 10 minutes remaining in the half Emori Waqavulagi set off up the left-hand touchline and Stuart Williamson scored off the next phase.

Brothers’ flyhalf Patrick James stepped his way through Souths defence and offloaded to Reuben Wall who dotted down for the Brethren’s fifth.

Right before half time David Corbenici dived over.

Wall sniped shortly after half time and caught the Magpies’ pillar defence napping to cross for his double.

Alex Casey burrowed his way over at the 50-minute mark and reduced Brothers’ lead.

Brothers’ fullback Creighton didn’t find touch with a clearance kick and Souths countered through Semiti Tela who split the defence to set up Waqavulagi’s try.

Williamson crossed for a double as the match ticked past the 60-minute mark but with 10 minutes remaining Souths’ hopes of a comeback were dashed James straightend at the line and crossed the chalk for Brothers’ final try.

Brothers 46 (T Postal R Wall 2 tries D Corbenici P James L Creighton L Skelton tries L Creighton 3 cons) d Souths  31  (S Williamson 2 tries E Waqavulagi N Bueta A Casey tries S Maloula 3 cons)

Wests claim a two-point win on the Gold Coast
By Laticia Chapman

Wests held on to a 22-20 victory over Bond University on the Gold Coast on Saturday.

Fresh off the bye, the Bulldogs made the trip down to Robina in the hope of leap-frogging Easts.

Meanwhile the hosts were looking to not only restore some pride after last week’s loss against GPS.

Bond started strong, winning the territorial battle early. A penalty gifted Mitch Third an opportunity to score first points and the Bond goal-kicker did just that putting the hosts up by three.

The home side continued to gain field position with outside backs Dylan Riley and Hayden Sargeant leading the way.

The decision to turn down another penalty goal paid dividends with Bond front-rower Jonathan Phelan the beneficiary off the back of the rolling maul.

Wests eventually registered points when Byron Hutchinson knocked over a penalty goal from beyond 40 metres to make it 8-3.

Bond were not phased pursuing a late onslaught on the Wests try line in the last five minutes of the first half. However, the visitors’ defence was unbreakable holding off the charge to only trail by five at the break.

The second half saw a massive shift in momentum with Wests catching the home side off guard.

Byron Hutchinson dotted down for the visitors’ first after taking advantage of an overlap on Bond’s right edge. The successful conversion gave Wests the lead for the first time in the match, 10-8.

Not satisfied with just the one try, the Bulldogs launched another raid with Liam Dillon scooting through the hosts defence. A couple of phases later, winger Shai Wiperi found the chalk and the visitors lead was seven points.

Moments later, Hutchinson had the chance to make it 18-8, however his penalty goal pulled up just short of the mark.

A long drop-out from the 22 by replacement halfback, Vitori Buatava, gave Bond field position back. They found their rhythm from the first half and began hammering the Wests try line.

The visitors defence did not look like folding and it took a string of scrum penalties that lead to a penalty try to bring the scores level at 15-a-piece.

Connor Anderson crashed over from a pick-and-go to break the deadlock. Hutchinson knocked over the crucial conversion making it 22-15 with five minutes to play.

The hosts needed a big play if they were to level the scores and it came in the form of Third who managed to re-gather his own high ball and position Bond inside the opposition’s 22.

A couple of phases later Wests gave away a penalty and Bond set their sights on crashing over again from a rolling maul. And that is what they did with captain, Sam Clifton, falling over to make it 22-20.

Third’s conversion rebounded off the upright to hand Wests the two-point win.

The Bulldogs return to Sci-Fleet Stadium this weekend to host Brothers while Bond host Souths on the Gold Coast.

Wests 22 (C Anderson F Daugunu B Hutchinson tries B Hutchinson pen 2 cons) d Bond University 20 (S Clifton J Phelan tries Penalty try M Third pen)



Join our Rugby Family today